sshd broken by seemingly trivial network change

Thu Dec 17 21:09:57 GMT 2020

On 2020-12-17 13:51, Charles Russell wrote:
> On 12/17/2020 11:49 AM, Bill Stewart wrote:
>> Make sure to look carefully through all of the firewall rules and
>> check whether there is a rule blocking that executable or port.

> Selecting "Advanced Settings" and then "incoming rules", I see one rule for sshd
> private: enabled, allowed and one rule for sshd public: enabled, allowed. There
> is a third rule for sshd domain: (disabled, allowed). I believe that one is
> irrelevant but I enabled it anyway, which did not help.
>
> Is there someplace else I should look? This is Windows 7 Home Premium.

Have you checked your new router to see what default rules are enabled there?

Some routers may come with blocks for common attack vectors, against the router
itself or the local network, that may need to be disabled if you want to allow
connections from other systems.

The router may have been setup or used by the selling org, or a customer, and
returned and resold.