BUG Report (SOLVED): rlwrap + cygwin (dll) + Windows 10

Alberto Moral Beneitez alb_moral@yahoo.es
Mon Dec 28 20:02:25 GMT 2020

 Hi, again
I've just realized that  new cygwin DLL keeps terminal edit capabilities for DOS commands (basically: retriving previous commands with arrow keys), what is a very good feature.(I use mintty as terminal. I forgot to mention in my previous email).

So, I apologize and answer myself: now it's not necesary to use rlwrap to retrive previous command lines, because the DOS commands I use have this functionality, and now Cygwin respects it.
Anyway, as I like all the functionalities that rlwrap provides (history file included), one solution that I've found (perhaps not very smart) is to "encapsulate" the DOS command with pipelines, isolating  it from the terminal. For example
  rlwrap -C cmd  bash -c 'cat | cmd |& cat'

Or even translating the charset of the output with iconv (in my case from CP850 to ISO8859-1). I use stdbuf -o0 to leave the output unbuffered:

  rlwrap -C cmd  bash -c 'cat | cmd |& stdbuf -o0 iconv -f CP850 -t iso8859-1'
So, there is no need to correct anything in the DLL cygwin.
 Thank you very much anyway and best regards,
Alberto Moral