Calling a Windows program changes terminal character attributes

Takashi Yano takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp
Sun Feb 16 08:09:00 GMT 2020

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 23:44:53 -0800
Mark Geisert wrote:
> This may be a duplicate of an already-reported problem.  I haven't seen one
> reported quite this way up to now, though.
>
> I'd long ago modified DIR_COLORS to color-code more kinds of files in 'ls'
> displays.  I've noticed for a while (weeks?) that some of the chars visible in a
> terminal window are made bold just by launching certain Windows commands.  I
> just now stumbled onto a simple test case.
>
> 1) Open a Cygwin Terminal window,
> 2) cd to a directory with lots of different file types,
> 3) issue an 'ls' command
> 4) issue the command "cmd -c version"
>
> You should immediately see that some characters in the visible part of the
> screen buffer have been converted to bold versions.  Not all of them, though.

Thanks for the report.

This is the same issue as that of already reported in:

I am sorry, but it is difficult to fix right now.

Now, poroposals below is under consideration. If this could be realized,
your problem would be solved.
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2020-q1/msg00151.html

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>