cygwin 3.1 pseudo console in PTY and break/ctrl-c handling

Wed Feb 19 20:21:00 GMT 2020

On 2020-02-19 13:02, Kevin Schnitzius via cygwin wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 05:54:23 PM EST, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>> With 3.1.2-1:
>>> mintty -o "CA+F12:break"               =====>    ctrl-alt-F12 causes a break and kills notepad
>>> mintty -o "c:break"                    =====>    ctrl-shift-c causes a break and kills notepad
>>> mintty -o "C+c:break"                  =====>  FAIL -- ctrl-c kills native apps but notepad is not affected
>>> mintty -o "CA+c:break"                 =====>  FAIL -- ctrl-alt-c kills native apps but notepad is not affected
>>
>> This would be mintty -o KeyFunctions='CA+F12:break' etc.
>> The latter two are not valid mintty configuration; Ctrl is only
>> supported as a modifier for function keys and special keys, not letters.
>> This is unchanged with the cygwin version.
>
> Ah, thank you.  That was the clue that I needed.
>
> For those also having this problem:
>
> mintty.exe -o "KeyFunctions=c:break" -o CtrlExchangeShift=true -
>
> will propagate Ctrl-C to the non-native apps and kill them, imitating the behavior of 3.0.X Cygwin.
>
> Now that I have played with this for a while, I am thinking that I like the new behavior better and I have assigned a new key to specifically kill native Windows programs instead letting the Ctrl-C do all the work (I am using Alt-F5 to do this).

Should the above settings not be the default behaviour for backward
compatibility and least surprise to users?

It used to be mintty just worked as expected with most programs, now additional
interfaces seem to be required depending on Windows versions, editions, and
releases. These helpers should either be included in the package, or be
dependencies pulled in by mintty without which it will not install, with the
appropriate interfaces installed and configured so that mintty, shells, and
programs run under it continue to work as expected.