X11 forwarding extremely slow (unusable) after Cygwin upgrade on Dec 23rd

ianpul01@gmail.com ianpul01@gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 08:41:00 GMT 2020

The problem is with cygwin 3.1.0-1, released on Dec 16th, or thereabouts.

I decided to track it down by re-installing the earlier working release from
the Cygwin time machine at crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org, and then
incrementally upgrading it until the problem showed up. It turns out that it
was introduced in the Dec 16th release, which made just one change -
upgraded cygwin from 3.0.7-1 to 3.1.0-1. With the Dec 15th release all works
fine - nice fast response in the X11 windows, with the Dec 16th release the
same programs in X11 windows are really, really slow.

I can roll cygwin back to 3.0.7-1 from the latter release and X.11 then
works fine again.

To quantify the problem, I timed these using the BeyondCompare and kdiff3
file diff programs (which really show up the issue being very CPU intensive)
comparing two versions of a source code directory containing 6 largish
files, all differing:

Time to open the window and display the directory:

BeyondCompare with cygwin 3.0.7-1:	2 seconds, 	with cygwin 3.1.0-1:
18 seconds.
Kdiff3 with cygwin 3.0.7.1:		4 seconds 	with cygwin 3.1.0-1:
15 seconds.

Time to open a tab and display the diffs for one of the files:

BeyondCompare with cygwin 3.0.7-1:	1 seconds, 	with cygwin 3.1.0-1:
8 seconds.
Kdiff3 with cygwin 3.0.7.1:		5 seconds 	with cygwin 3.1.0-1:
13 seconds.

Firefox is not so bad, but still slower. The time to open the window and
display the default home page is about 2 seconds with cygwin 3.0.7-1, 5
seconds with 3.1.0-1. And the problem that I reported below relating to slow
response trying to type into Firefox's address bar is not showing up with
this build. Either that was introduced later, or maybe it was some side
effect of the upgrade path that I took then?

Ian

Firefox