Cygwin 3.3.0: The programs compiled with "-mwindows" cannot read more than one byte from noncanonical mode TTY

Takashi Yano takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp
Thu Jan 23 11:33:00 GMT 2020

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 18:49:04 +0800
Koichi Murase wrote:
> 2020年1月21日(火) 10:47 Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>:
> > Thanks for the report. I could reproduce the problem under LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8.
> > I have almost caught the culprit. Please wait for a while.
>
> Thank you for the patch fixing the problem. I cherry-picked the patch
> and tried it, but there is another problem.

>   The programs compiled with "-mwindows" cannot read more than one
>   character from PTY in a non-canonical mode in .  There was no
>   problem before the patch "Cygwin: pty: Fix reopening slave in
>   push_to_pcon_screenbuffer().".
>
> Repeat-By:
>
>   1. Open Cygwin Terminal (mintty)
>
>   2. Compile the attached program with the following commands.
>
>     $ g++ -o minimal2-con.exe minimal2.cpp
>     $ g++ -mwindows -o minimal2-win.exe minimal2.cpp
>
>   3. The expected behavior can be checked with `minimal2-con'.  After
>     executing the command, please type some five characters.  The
>     string `[RECV]' will be printed five times, and then the program
>     will exit.
>
>     $ ./minimal2-con
>     [RECV][RECV][RECV][RECV][RECV]
>     $
>
>   4. However, with the compile option "-mwindows", we can only see one
>     `[RECV]', and the program will hang.
>
>     $ ./minimal2-win
>     [RECV]

Thanks for the report again. Apparently, close() before reopening slave
which I added just in case was superfluous. I will submit a patch for
this issue.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>