anyone interested in loading a portable drive?

Mon Jan 27 21:25:00 GMT 2020

On 2020-01-27 09:17, Bill Stewart wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 9:33 PM aimedtech wrote:
>
>> Okay, this is a complaint.  I've spent the past few days trying to
>> download the Cygwin system and gotten nowhere.  I've tried several
>> download environments, using different protocols, nothing works.
>
> Remember that we can't see your screen.
>
> When you say that something didn't work, you have to say how it didn't
> work. https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20100421-00/?p=14283
>
> First, try reading the error message.
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20090625-00/?p=17753

You said your install is a decade old: rename any old /etc/passwd or /etc/group
files as those could cause problems nowadays if not regenerated, and you no
longer really need them, and should consult the User Guide for those uses.

Don't use user names, home, root, or package directory names with spaces, or C:\
as root directory: you should have full control over those directories, and run
setup with an admin id so it can run elevated.

Select only the packages you need to install, as all packages take 148GB, which
will take a while to download, as long to install, and a lot of virtual memory
to run (assuming you're installing a 64 bit system, and have a lot of paging
space; if not, it won't install and won't run, as installing a lot of packages
using a lot of DLLs may require more than 3-4GB address space).

You should stop and exit all Cygwin processes so none are running while you run
setup.

See https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.setup.setup-fails

Most problems with setup are network problems: in case it's not network, attach
setup.log.full (possibly in /var/log/ or the directory from which you ran setup)
as a plain text attachment for diagnosis.