cygrunsrv does not start cygsshd at boot

Wed Jan 29 23:08:00 GMT 2020

On 2020-01-29 11:55, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via cygwin wrote:
>> Don't see where you read that?
>
> The service control manager waits until the service stops or the specified preshutdown time-out value expires (this value can be set with the ChangeServiceConfig2 function). This control code should be used only in special circumstances, because a service that handles this notification
>
> * blocks system shutdown *
>
> until the service stops or the preshutdown time-out interval expires.
>
>> Is that not better than abruptly terminating an sshd session, or abandoning sending a large email?
>
> Depends.  When you are ready to reboot you usually don't have anything important running by then.

You are viewing everything as a purely manual desktop user who has nothing
important happening on their system and total control over restarts: most Home
and work desktop users get updated and restarted with little interaction or
option; servers are bounced by someone or some process elsewhere who thinks now
is a good time; updates on my work systems always seemed to be applied as I
logged on in response to urgent calls early, during lunchtime, or just when
leaving for the day.

I may well have scheduled tasks or cron jobs running, some of which may take a
while to complete, unfortunately longer than 3 minutes: I can only hope those
processes will not be killed and will defer the shutdown process, as on the next
hourly run after restart, the missed processing will have to be caught up,
before current processing starts. As some other posters noted recently, some
package rebuilds take hours on their systems.

> Also, emails "abandoned" while sending will be re-sent, in most decent mailers.
>
> Finally, when you do need the pre-shutdown option, you can specify it with cygrunsrv directly (-O, --preshutdown)
>  -- no need to deal with any manual registry changes.

That is a service initial configuration option (stored in the registry) which
that means on startup, the service will prepare itself to receive and handle
Preshutdown messages, and the system may send such messages to the service.
Note the sample cygrunsrv output showing "Controls Accepted: Stop, Preshutdown".