need to fix permissions

Bill Stewart bstewart@iname.com
Wed Jul 15 13:49:30 GMT 2020

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 6:34 PM <briand@...> wrote:

the cygwin home folder is giving me a LOT of trouble with access denied.

> i've tried takeown and icacls to fix permissions, and strangely it worked
> for _Some_ files, but i still have files which i need to back up which are
> causing "access denied" errors.
>
> i'm hoping someone who understands how cygwin has set permissions can give
> me a way to fix-up the permissions in ntfs land.

The following is what I have used successfully in the past and should reset
everything:

1. Open an elevated PowerShell or cmd.exe shell

2. Take ownership to Administrators group:

takeown /F "C:\cygwin" /A /R /D Y

3. Reset all file permissions:

icacls "C:\cygwin" /reset /T /C

4. Reset the file attributes: