Is there a one-liner to start a xterm window (and close XWin at the end of the session)?

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri Jul 17 13:03:28 GMT 2020

On 17/07/2020 13:48, Fergus Daly via Cygwin wrote:
> At the moment I initiate a xterm session with a 4-line cmd script at the Cygwin root directory as follows:
> @bin\run bin\XWin -clipboard -nolock -multiwindow 2> nul
> @timeout 4 > nul 2> nul
> @bin\xterm -display :0.0 2> nul
> @bin\kill -KILL -- -1
> Not wishing to mend what isn't broken, can anybody recommend a slicker opener (and closer)?
> (All the lines, and all their components, seem to be essential.
> Line 1 is a necessary precursor. Line 2 induces an apparently essential pause.
> Line 3 opens the xterm session, which can then be progressed to its conclusion.
> At which: resumption of the cmd script at line 4 kills the now redundant XWin session.
> Thus guaranteeing a neat finish with no straggling processes.)
> Thank you for any easement! A one-liner would be perfect.

"xinit /usr/bin/xterm -- -nolock -multiwindow"

(Although you might want to use startx instead, as perhaps that will
behave better if an X server is already running for display :0)