Needing readline to build a local 64-bit exec

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 06:05:05 GMT 2020

On 27.07.2020 07:47, Fergus Daly via Cygwin wrote:
> Of more than 640 *.c files incorporated into a locally-built executable, exactly one contains many references
> to readline, such as "#include <readline/readline.h>". The 32-bit build proceeds impeccably to completion:
> there is a subdirectory x86/release/readline in the Cygwin resource and a paragraph for @ readline in the file
> x86/setup.ini, albeit with "obsolete" qualifiers.
> However the 64-bit build fails at the compilation of the file containing the reference to readline: various *.h
> not found. There is a subdirectory x86_64/release/readline in the resource but it contains only subdirectories,
> not the root readline-7.*.tar.xz files. The file x86_64/setup.ini contains no paragraph for @ readline.
> I do not fully understand the interpretation or consequences of obsoletion, but this changed provision relating
> to readline is the key difference between x86/ and x86_64/.
> I tried supplementing the resource under x86_64/release/readline with the "missing" *.tar.xz files and editing x86_64/setup.ini to include the paragraph for @ readline, but this broke setup.ini.sig.
> (I use a constantly updated mirror on a local drive. It takes 62G but it's worth it.)
> It is clear (well, given my limited understanding of the handling of obsoleted files) that in some way the
> provision under x86/release/readline and its referencing in x86/setup.ini remains critical to the successful build
> of the 32-bit executable, and the lack of provision under x86_64/release/readline and omission from
> x86_64/setup.ini is critical to the failed build. It seems to be located, picked up and used, despite its obsolete
> status?
> Can it be recovered into the x86_64 provision?
> Or can somebody who understands it better please explain the discrepancy in x86 and x86_64 provision
> that triggers the contrasting success and failure for 32-bit and 64-bit version build attempts. And, even better,
> how to achieve 64-bit success?
> Thank you!
> --

have you tried installing libreadline-devel ?
It includes the header you are looking for

$ cygcheck -p usr/include/readline/readline.h
Found 3 matches for usr/include/readline/readline.h
libreadline-devel-7.0.1-1 - libreadline-devel: GNU readline and history
librarie
s (development) (installed binaries and support files)
libreadline-devel-7.0.1-2 - libreadline-devel: GNU readline and history
librarie
s (development)
libreadline-devel-7.0.3-3 - libreadline-devel: GNU readline and history
librarie
s (development)

Regards
MArco