stty -cooked not usable since cygwin-3.1.1-1

Rabbe Fogelholm rabbe@bahnhof.se
Tue Jul 28 19:51:33 GMT 2020

On 2020-07-28 18:56, Thomas Wolff wrote:

> Am 28.07.2020 um 18:38 schrieb Takashi Yano via Cygwin:
>> On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 15:56:54 +0200
>> Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:

>>> Some time has passed; I am just curious if anyone may have found a
>>> solution to the "stty -cooked" issue. With cygwin-3.0.* it was possible
>>> to have a Java program act on single keystrokes, with cygwin-3.1 I don't
>>> know how to do it. Any ideas welcome!
>> Solution 1:
>> Redesign your java program using JNA with kbhit()/getch() instead of
>> System.in.available()/System.in.read().
>>
>> Solution 2:
>> Add SetConsoleMode() call with ENABLE_LINE_INPUT flag cleared using JNA.
> Couldn't cygwin clear this flag when it sets up ConPTY while the pty is
> in raw mode?
> Thomas
>

>> Solution 3:
>> Use a wrappwer instead of stty such as:
>>
>> #include <stdio.h>
>> #include <unistd.h>
>> #include <termios.h>
>> #include <string.h>
>> #include <pthread.h>
>> #include <sys/wait.h>
>>
>> void *fwd(void *param)
>> {
>>      FILE *f = (FILE *) param;
>>      char buf[128];
>>      int len;
>>      while (1) {
>>          if ((len = read(0, buf, sizeof(buf))) <= 0) break;
>>          if (write(fileno(f), buf, len) < len) break;
>>      }
>>      return NULL;
>> }
>>
>> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
>> {
>>      FILE *f;
>>      int i;
>>      pthread_t th;
>>      struct termios t, t_orig;
>>      char cmd[1024] = {0, };
>>      if (argc < 2) return 0;
>>      for (i = 1; i < argc && strlen(cmd)+strlen(argv[i]) <
>> sizeof(cmd)-2; i++) {
>>          sprintf(cmd + strlen(cmd), (i>1)?" %s":"%s", argv[i]);
>>      }
>>      f = popen(cmd, "w");
>>      tcgetattr(0, &t_orig);
>>      t = t_orig;
>>      cfmakeraw(&t);
>>      tcsetattr(0, TCSANOW, &t);
>>      pthread_create(&th, NULL, fwd, f);
>>      wait(NULL);
>>      tcsetattr(0, TCSANOW, &t_orig);
>>      pclose(f);
>>      return 0;
>> }

Thanks Takashi for suggesting many ways to solve this! The C wrapper
solution looks quite powerful.

Meanwhile it has occurred to me that bash itself can provide a
workaround. Since I start the Java console application from a bash
wrapper already, I have now changed it so that it does something like
this:

(while true; do read -s -r -N 1 Key; echo "$Key"; done) | java ...

With these options to 'read' I get action on every keystroke, and the
Java program gets its input as terminated length-1 lines.