opam package should depend on ocaml-compiler-libs

Thu Jun 4 14:38:02 GMT 2020

On 2020-05-28 03:28, David Allsopp via Cygwin wrote:
> opam assumes that OCaml installed by the "OS" package manager is "complete"
> (i.e. is the same as "make install" from the OCaml sources), which is a
> problem when "OS" package managers split upstream ocaml and don't install
> the ocaml-compiler-libs package by default.
>
> Please could either the opam or ocaml package be updated to depend on
> ocaml-compiler-libs. Fixes
> https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/issues/16457.
>
> Debian/Ubuntu and Fedora both also have ocaml-compiler-libs packages, but
> it's installed by their ocaml package as well.
>
> Arch chooses not to do this, having packages like ocaml-findlib expressly
> depending on ocaml-compilerlibs and so also has its opam package depend on
> ocaml-compilerlibs.
>
> As both an upstream OCaml and opam maintainer, I don't mind which package
> has the dependency, but if opam is installed, please can any
> system-installed ocaml definitely be "complete"!

[current maintainer has resigned so packages are up for adoption]

Cygwin packages are granular and dependencies are functional: which of the
Cygwin packages opam and opam-installer uses Cygwin package ocaml-compiler-libs,
or does opam use another ocaml package to build?

Current packages are:
emacs-ocaml 4.10.0-1 x86_64
ocaml 4.10.0-1 x86_64
ocaml-base 4.10.0-1 x86_64
ocaml-cairo2 0.6.1-1 x86_64
ocaml-cairo2-gtk 0.6.1-1 x86_64
ocaml-cairo2-pango 0.6.1-1 x86_64
ocaml-calendar 2.04-2 x86_64
ocaml-camlp4 4.10-0.1 x86_64
ocaml-camlp5 7.11-1 x86_64
ocaml-camomile 1.0.2-1 x86_64
ocaml-camomile-data 1.0.2-1 x86_64
ocaml-compiler-libs 4.10.0-1 x86_64
ocaml-cppo 1.6.6-1 x86_64
ocaml-csv 1.7-1 x86_64
ocaml-ctypes 0.17.1-1 x86_64
ocaml-curses 1.0.4-1 x86_64
ocaml-curses-debuginfo 1.0.4-1 x86_64
ocaml-debuginfo 4.04.2-1 x86_64
ocaml-doc 4.10.0-1 x86_64
ocaml-dune 2.5.1-1 x86_64
ocaml-extlib 1.7.7-1 x86_64
ocaml-facile 1.1.3-3 x86_64
ocaml-fileutils 0.6.2-1 x86_64
ocaml-findlib 1.8.1-1 x86_64
ocaml-gettext 0.4.1-1 x86_64
ocaml-graphics 5.1.0-1 x86_64
ocaml-gv 2.40.1-5 x86_64
ocaml-integers 0.3.0-1 x86_64
ocaml-lablgl 1.06-1 x86_64
ocaml-lablglade2 2.18.10-1 x86_64
ocaml-lablgnomecanvas 2.18.10-1 x86_64
ocaml-lablgnomeui 2.18.10-1 x86_64
ocaml-lablgtk2 2.18.10-1 x86_64
ocaml-lablgtk3 3.1.0-1 x86_64
ocaml-lablgtk3-gtkspell3 3.1.0-1 x86_64
ocaml-lablgtk3-sourceview3 3.1.0-1 x86_64
ocaml-lablgtkgl2 2.18.10-1 x86_64
ocaml-lablgtksourceview2 2.18.10-1 x86_64
ocaml-lablgtkspell 2.18.10-1 x86_64
ocaml-lablrsvg 2.18.10-1 x86_64
ocaml-labltk 8.06.8-1 x86_64
ocaml-libvirt 0.6.1.5-1 x86_64
ocaml-libvirt-debuginfo 0.6.1.5-1 x86_64
ocaml-llvm 8.0.1-1 x86_64
ocaml-llvm-doc 8.0.1-1 x86_64
ocaml-num 1.3-1 x86_64
ocaml-ocamlbuild 0.14.0-1 x86_64
ocaml-ocamldoc 4.10.0-1 x86_64
ocaml-ounit 2.2.2-1 x86_64
ocaml-result 1.5-1 x86_64
ocaml-runtime 4.10.0-1 x86_64
ocaml-source 4.10.0-1 x86_64
ocaml-topkg 1.0.1-1 x86_64
ocaml-xml-light 2.3-0.2.svn234 x86_64

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]