ssh troubles

Raman Gupta rocketraman@gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 18:46:38 GMT 2020

Hello all, for some reason I've started having troubles with cygwin sshd,
despite having successfully used it for years. Not sure if some recent
Windows updates broke it or something, but now I'm getting the infamous:

sshd: PID 1855: fatal: seteuid 1049703: No such device or address

I believe I've followed all the advice given on this list over the years
regarding this error:

* installed cygwin 64-bit (this fixed it for a while, but now its broken
again)
* uninstalled the service, and reinstalled with ssh-host-config
* verified all permissions on home, .ssh, and authorized_keys files are
correct (and configuring in non-strict mode doesn't work either anyway)
* running the service as Local System (as installed by recent versions of
ssh-host-config)
* updated to the latest openssh version available (this also fixed it for a
while, but then it broke again)
* removing any /etc/password or /etc/group files
* removing any value for CYGWIN environment variable

$ cygcheck -c openssh
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
openssh              8.3p1-1        OK

What's very odd is that, recently, I seem to be able to get it to work with
various approaches (see above), it works for a while, and then it borks
again.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Raman