ssh troubles

Raman Gupta rocketraman@gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 17:46:45 GMT 2020

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 4:21 PM Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
wrote:

> On 17.06.2020 20:46, Raman Gupta via Cygwin wrote:
> > Hello all, for some reason I've started having troubles with cygwin sshd,
> > despite having successfully used it for years. Not sure if some recent
> > Windows updates broke it or something, but now I'm getting the infamous:
> >
> > sshd: PID 1855: fatal: seteuid 1049703: No such device or address
> >
> > I believe I've followed all the advice given on this list over the years
> > regarding this error:
> >
> > * installed cygwin 64-bit (this fixed it for a while, but now its broken
> > again)
> > * uninstalled the service, and reinstalled with ssh-host-config
> > * verified all permissions on home, .ssh, and authorized_keys files are
> > correct (and configuring in non-strict mode doesn't work either anyway)
> > * running the service as Local System (as installed by recent versions of
> > ssh-host-config)
> > * updated to the latest openssh version available (this also fixed it
> for a
> > while, but then it broke again)
> > * removing any /etc/password or /etc/group files
> > * removing any value for CYGWIN environment variable
> >
> > $ cygcheck -c openssh
> > Cygwin Package Information
> > Package              Version        Status
> > openssh              8.3p1-1        OK
> >
> > What's very odd is that, recently, I seem to be able to get it to work
> with
> > various approaches (see above), it works for a while, and then it borks
> > again.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Raman
> > --
>
> Corporate computer with continuous reset of corporate policy ?
> I had such experience in the past.
>
> please provide the cygcheck.out as ATTACHMENT
> see https://cygwin.com/problems.html

It is a Windows domain, but I manage the domain and AFAIK there is no such
policy / reset mechanism.

Oddly enough, a reboot seems to have "fixed" it, at least for now. I wonder
if the previous "fixes" were more about reboots as opposed to actual
configuration changes as well...

If it works fine, and then randomly breaks until a reboot, what might be
the cause of that?

Regards,
Raman