What's the official state of Python module scipy in Cygwin?

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Sun Jun 21 19:40:11 GMT 2020

You need to install openblas (and lapack, if openblas does not install it).

You also need gcc, g++, and gfortran for building various components, and
the suitable python-devel and python-pip packages.  I further have the
suitable python tkinter, six, and wheel packages installed from cygwin.

I am finding that building scipy takes quite a while (a lot of long
C and Fortran optimizing compilations).

Above, when I say "suitable", I mean python37 (or whatever).  scipy
built for me under 3.7 just now, and I am starting a 3.8 build, which
will require a local build of numpy, I believe, tediously longer :-) ...

Regards - Eliot Moss