Apparent bug in either (1) Cygwin default Package-list or (2) Package "bzr" dependency-list

Allen Hewes allen@decisiv.com
Mon Jun 22 05:49:51 GMT 2020

> by default "python" is "python2" so anything calling python still requires
> python2, see:
>
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/
>
> and there are a lot of packages in cygwin doing it.
>
> Packaging requires time and currently on python we are short of it.
>
> I am moving to package all python-subpackages for 3.8 and after we can look
> to move some packages from python2 (2.7) to python 3 (target 3.8)

Thanks Marco. Yep, I know about the python/python2/python3 naming PEP. I just got frustrated a little and went full bore on making my "python" (and all his friends) mean "python3" (😊).

If/when Cygwin gets to Python3 clean, I'll revert my alternatives.

For me, I think there's a PostgreSQL contrib package that has a dependency on Python2, which is why I can't remove it (I _think_). But I suspect you would already have it in your list.

I have played around with packaging on Cygwin and I found it difficult and inconsistent. Meaning, if it was like koji/rpm, I would find it easier to contribute/participate. I lost arm wrestling matches with cygport and packages that don't cygport... then I got deterred...

I would like to pitch in. Is there beginner stuff? There's a different ML for packaging folks isn't there? I have used Cygwin daily for many years but I have found myself trying out WSL2 (I never tried WSL1).

Thanks,

/allen

Disclaimer Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, and any attachments and/or documents linked to this email, are intended for the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or otherwise protected by law. Any dissemination, distribution, or copying is prohibited. This notice serves as a confidentiality marking for the purpose of any confidentiality or nondisclosure agreement. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the original sender.