Where to post instructions on building something under cygwin ...

Tue Jun 23 05:38:39 GMT 2020

On 2020-06-22 18:10, Eliot Moss wrote:
> Dear fellow cygwin-ers ...
>
> A recent poster has prompted me to ask this question:
>
> Assuming someone wrote up the instructions for building / installing some python
> package under cygwin, where could those instructions go?  Is there a place in
> the cygwin web pages for such a thing?  Or would this better go back with the
> package in question (scipy), saying "Here's a recipe that some users have used
> with success to install this package under cygwin."

I would get someone to prepare a scipy.cygport file that documents the package
info, home page, upstream source archive, build and runtime dependencies, and
build process according to Cygwin packaging standards, and can be run by the
cygport utility to reproducibly build the package.

Someone could start with a copy of numpy.cygport, make the appropriate changes,
and post here for review and help.

If you can then get a python package maintainer to adopt the package, the
package will be available thru the usual Cygwin distribution channels.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]