Listing only manually installed package

Sun Jun 28 18:47:35 GMT 2020

On 2020-06-28 08:12, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 26/06/2020 23:20, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2020-06-26 12:04, Yasuhiro KIMURA wrote:
>>> From: Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca>
>>> Subject: Re: Listing only manually installed package
>>> Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 11:20:26 -0600

>>> I checked /etc/setup/installed.db on my 32bit and 64bit console but in
>>> each case all lines end with "0". Therefore,
>>>
>>> From: Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru>
>>> Subject: Re: Listing only manually installed package
>>> Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 20:15:21 +0300

>>> As you say, unfortunately there seems to be no way to tell if a
>>> package was installed manually or automatically.
>>
>> Just checked the setup sources, so unless there is a bug, you are running a
>> setup version over 5 years old, or not running Cygwin setup, user_picked is part
>> of the package metadata that is still read from and written to installed.db.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems there is a bug (since 2.895, 18 months ago, ...), and
> this information doesn't always get recorded correctly.
>
> Thanks for drawing my attention to this.

Thanks for spotting the bug - I missed the user_picked parameter being defaulted.

Is there any way to run setup with suitable parameters and have it set the
user_picked field in installed.db?

Or is it down to finding packages in installed.db that are roots, with no
installed packages dependent on them, according to the setup.ini
depends2/requires lists, and producing an updated installed.db?

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]