rlwrap no longer works with windows console apps

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Mon Mar 16 20:46:01 GMT 2020

Greetings, Kostya Altukhov!

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 9:14 PM Takashi Yano wrote:

>> Why do you use rlwrap for cmd.exe? History and command line
>> edit are working in cmd without rlwrap in new cygwin.
>>

> cmd.exe is just an example. I use rlwrap for other Windows command line
> tools like Oracle's sqlplus and others. But even in stuff like cmd.exe,
> only basic history and editing is available natively, rlwrap provides
> additional benefits like history search, persistence of history between
> sessions, more sophisticated editing commands, etc. I have a lot of aliases
> wrapping all windows tools with rlwrap.

I can imagine that wrapping native tool into POSIX program would not behave
well, but compound it with changes in console code of modern Windows system,
and you get a recipe for disaster.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin