Conflict between Eclipse JGit and Cygwin HOME

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Tue Mar 17 01:03:08 GMT 2020

Greetings, David Karr!

> I've been running Cygwin on my Windows 10 laptop for quite a while.  I use
> git in Eclipse and in the shell.

> What I'm describing isn't really a bug with Cygwin, but it breaks because
> of the interaction with Cygwin, and I'm trying to find out a reasonable way
> to fix this.

> Over the weekend, I upgraded Windows 10 from 1709 to 1809.  Somehow after
> that I have messed up how git is used in Eclipse.

> The Eclipse JGit framework figures out where my git config is by checking
> things in the following order:

> - 1. %HOME% if set,
> - 2. %HOMEDRIVE%\%HOMEPATH%, if %HOMEDRIVE% is set,
> - 3. %HOMESHARE% if set,
> - 4. Java system property "user.home".

> The HOMEDRIVE, HOMEPATH, and HOMESHARE variables are set by my work
> infrastructure, and I appear to have no control over them. The resulting
> %HOMEDRIVE%\%HOMEPATH% doesn't even exist.

It should, that's nonsense. File an issue with your infrastructure team.

> The HOME variable is set by Cygwin, apparently.

No, it only set HOME if it is not set yet, and even then only for login
shells.

> It is set to "/home/<myuid>".

What "myid" is supposed to mean? HOME is set to /home/$USER by default, but
can be overridden with proper nsswitch configuration.

> I'm guessing that JGit looks at that and can't do
> anything with it, so it goes down the list and doesn't find anything
> useful. I end up with bad git config values.

Just install Git for Windows, but don't add it to %PATH% in any way, shape or
form. Then configure Eclipse to use that git instead of Cygwin one.

> The workaround I've figured out is a batch file that sets HOME to the
> expected Windows HOME, and then executes its command-line parameters.  I
> changed the target property in the Eclipse shortcut to add the full path to
> this batch file at the front of the command line, and then I have to find
> the eclipse.exe file and get the desktop icon from it.  I'll have to do
> this every time I install a new Eclipse distribution.

Start by solving the issue from its head.
Fix your %HOMEDRIVE%/%HOMEPATH%/%HOMESHARE%, configure your nsswitch to point
to an existing profile path.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin