Why is taskset still not in util-linux?

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Sat Mar 21 11:07:17 GMT 2020

So here's a thing, though I don't understand it:

In addition the build/taskset.exe, there's a build/.libs/taskset.exe.
If I install the latter in /usr/bin/.libs/taskset.exe, then /usr/bin/taskset
works.  In fact, it seems that the version in .libs is the "real" program
and /usr/bin/taskset is some kind of trampoline (?) to it?

In fact, a stripped version of build/.libs/taskset installed in /usr/bin
works just fine.  There must be some kind of build and install convention
going on that I am not familiar with.  (I'm not familiar with a lot of
these build processes, actually.)

Best - Eliot