cat /proc/partitions shows only devices, not partitions

Mon Mar 2 16:56:00 GMT 2020

On Mar  1 21:16, Hashim Aziz wrote:
> This was an issue that I had previously in September of last year and
> sent the issue to this mailing list ("win-mounts no longer displays
> anything when doing "cat /proc/partitions") but the issue stopped
> occurring before I could get around to diagnosing it. This issue has
> now re-occurred and this time it seems permanent. When I run:
>
> $ cat /proc/partitions
> major minor  #blocks  name   win-mounts
>
>     8     0         0 sda
>     8    16         0 sdb
>     8    32         0 sdc
>     8    48         0 sdd
>     8    64         0 sde
>     8    80         0 sdf
>
> ...I see nothing at all in the win-mounts column. This makes it
> impossible for me to see which Windows drive letter maps to which
> /dev/sdX entry. On closer inspection, this seems to be because I'm not
> actually seeing any partitions of my drives, even though there are
> many - for example, I see /dev/sda but no /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2, and
> because it's the partitions that are mounted, it's this that seems to
> result in me seeing nothing in the win-mounts column. I'm running
> Cygwin on Windows 7 (yes I'm aware it's EOL).

Fortunately I just started Windows 7 for another thread here, so I
gave it a try myself:

  $ uname -a
  CYGWIN_NT-6.1 vmbert764 3.1.4(0.340/5/3) 2020-02-19 08:49 x86_64 Cygwin
  $ id -G | grep -Eq '\<544\>' && echo elevated || echo non-elevated
  non-elevated
  $ cat /proc/partitions
  major minor  #blocks  name   win-mounts

      8     0  54525952 sda
      8     1    102400 sda1
      8     2  54420480 sda2   C:\

So, https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#WJFFM

This appears to be a local phenomenon only, either some permission
problem, or some BLODA, a life virus scanner or something.

Two questions come to mind:

- Does it work in an elevated shell?

- If you run this under strace, does it show anything unusual?
  We could take a look if you call

    strace -o cat.trace cat /proc/partitions

  and send the cat.trace file here (assuming it still doesn't work).

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer