"tmux open terminal failed: not a terminal" in terminal emulators other than mintty

Kacper Michajlow kasper93@gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 13:27:53 GMT 2020

> You can try another pty emulator. F.e. wintty.

Not really interested in some dead projects ;p

Let me rephrase the question, because I misspoke.

Currently Cygwin works acceptably only under Mintty as far as I can see.
Running it from cmd or any of terminal emulators listed before result in
sub-par performance. Even things like Home button to move cursor doesn't
work, as originally stated tmux doesn't work and so on.

Now that Windows is making improvements to their console
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-introducing-the-windows-pseudo-console-conpty/
it may be good time to improve Cygwin's compatibility.

Since my first mail I looked at git log and seen pty related changes,
compiled latest Cygwin, but it doesn't work better and even worse, because
mouse stopped working over ssh in tmux.

That said, I guess my really questions are:
1. Is the goal to improve Windows console compatibility?
2. If yes, what is the current status and challenges?
3. And my original question will the tmux work? :)

Projects like Windows Terminal are convenient way to have PS, CMD, Cygwin
and its child MSYS in one window hence I am wondering if it will be
possible without drawbacks.