incorrect text mode graphic character display

briand@pounceofcats.com briand@pounceofcats.com
Thu May 7 15:18:32 GMT 2020

Hi,

Doesn't matter what terminal i'm using, I'm having a problem with the way graphic characters print.
Julia uses unicode output, and will generate output that should look like this:

julia> x=DataFrame([(1,2,3), (4,5,6)])
2×3 DataFrame
│ Row │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
│     │ Int64 │ Int64 │ Int64 │
├─────┼───────┼───────┼───────┤
│ 1   │ 1     │ 2     │ 3     │
│ 2   │ 4     │ 5     │ 6     │

Unfortunately I'm seeing this :

julia> x=DataFrame([(1,2,3), (4,5,6)])
2×3 DataFrame
Γöé Row Γöé 1     Γöé 2     Γöé 3     Γöé
Γöé     Γöé Int64 Γöé Int64 Γöé Int64 Γöé
Γö£ΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓö╝ΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓö╝ΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓö╝ΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöÇΓöñ
Γöé 1   Γöé 1     Γöé 2     Γöé 3     Γöé
Γöé 2   Γöé 4     Γöé 5     Γöé 6     Γöé

This was working until a recent upgrade.  I have experimented with terminal set encoding and i can make the problem worse, but not better.
,
I've tried several terminal types, e.g. the xfce4 terminal, gnome terminal, rxvt.
They all give me incorrect displays, but rxvt gives me a different incorrect display.  lxterminal and rxvt-unicode give me the same output as shown in this email.

I've been trying to experiment with LC_ALL and related environment variables, but again, i can only make things worse.

Any ideas on what i might try ?

Thanks !

--
Brian