incorrect text mode graphic character display
Sat May 9 20:37:21 GMT 2020

On Sat, 9 May 2020 08:32:17 +0200
Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <> wrote:

> Please provide the cygcheck.out as attachment
> Which version of Julia are you running ?

> How are you running Julia?

i'm running the julia.exe from the Julia install bin directory, something like


I typed the above in, it might have a mistake in it, but you get the idea.

> Do you have any custom user setup in Julia?

NO i do not.  i use it as it's installed.

> I just installed it and only installed the DataFrames package.

that should be just fine.  it turns out you don't even need to do that.
if you are in the julia repl and do something like

julia> \phi<TAB>

i.e., typing in "\phi" and pressing the tab key, you should see the greek phi character if things are working properly.  if not you will see some bogus graphics characters.

> Can you install a parallel Cygwin with only Base category ?
> I use C:\cygwin64T for my parallel Cygwin installation.
> This will help to check if a fresh version without any
> user customization and minimal packages works.

oh good grief. now things have become really weird.

the problem i am having is with my work machine.  however i realized that i had not installed cygwin on my home machine, which is also W10.  i did that... and no problem, everything displays correctly !

then i went back to my work machine and did a parallel installation as you recommended and that turned out to be a bit of a problem.

I edited the path in the terminal icon to make sure it is running the mintty from the parallel installation, tried julia and ... it's still broken.

however, being paranoid that i still wasn't running from the correct install directory i went and ran mintty directly from the parallel install directory and things were broken on start, it looks like the path was not set-up correctly. running 'ls' gives me a command not found error, and julia is trying to invoke stty and getting a command not found error.

so i fixed PATH, that fixed those problems, ran julia, and still broken.

BTW, this is how julia was trying to invoke stty:

  stty raw -echo onlcr -ocrnl opost

i thought that might be helpful.

Unfortunately, because it's a work machine, i don't really feel comfortable posting the cygcheck output.  I tried to edit it, but there's just too much information that's specific to the directories and network that I would have to remove.

given the results on my home machine i'm wondering if i should simply save off my home directory, kill both cygwin directories and start from scratch...

Thanks for your continued help.

More information about the Cygwin mailing list