Groups command failing me in Windows 10

Chris Wagner wagnerc@plebeian.com
Wed May 13 00:43:30 GMT 2020

On 2020-05-12 3:45 pm, David wrote:
> The groups command in the cmd window on Windows 10 shows None as my
> first group.
> When I use the dir command to create a file, the security display
> shows no error.
> When I use the touch command to create a file, I get "The permissions
> on ... are incorrectly ordered [NULL if first]

Hi David.  The first thing to realize is that POSIX permissions and
Windows ACLs are almost impossible to reconcile.  Best to pick one and
ignore the other.

https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html has additional information.

To set your group you should do it in /etc/passwd.
If you don't have one, do: mkpasswd > /etc/passwd

Then edit the file and change the 4th field on the line with your
username to the group Id for Users.

david:*:123456:197153:
->
david:*:123456:545:

Then restart ALL Cygwin processes and id should show Users as your
primary group.  Any files created by a Windows process however will
still put None as the group.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.