Trying to build OCRmyPDF under Cygwin, hit a brick wall

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Fri May 15 19:34:44 GMT 2020

On 15.05.2020 20:17, Jim Garrison via Cygwin wrote:
> On 5/14/2020 5:23 PM, René Berber via Cygwin wrote:
> [snip]
>>> if os.name == 'nt':
>>>       libname = 'liblept-5'
>>>       os.environ['PATH'] = shim_paths_with_program_files()
>>
>> Notice this change in search path, dll files in Windows are executables
>> and they are (must) installed in the system PATH (or the current
>> directory).
>
> $PATH contains /usr/bin
>
>> Either that or python needs the symbols file, like the linker, which in
>> this case would be /usr/lib/liblept.dll.a, which is in the -devel
>> package, but I doubt it.
>
> Installing the -devel package, and undoing my "fix" to leptonica.py
> fixed the problem.  I guess I'm now going to have to learn how to
> build a Cygwin package for it.

the usage of import library for linking a library is very standard,
not really Cygwin specific.

headers and import library are almost every time in the libXXX-devel.
In the doubt you can look at the source package info:

https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/leptonica-src.html

> Unfortunately I didn't realize how involved building it on Cygwin was
> going to be and that it would be worth documenting, so I didn't keep
> track of everything I had to do (sigh!)

building for Cygwin is a Unix-like exercise.
May be you started with a Windows-like view ?

> How would I gauge interest in having a Cygwin version of OCRmyPDF?

from the list at
https://ocrmypdf.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation.html#installing-with-python-pip

     ghostscript \
     libexempi3 \
     libffi6 \
     pngquant \
     python3.6 \
     qpdf \
     tesseract-ocr \
     unpaper

the only package NOT available on Cygwin is "unpaper"

Regards
Marco