Suspend doesn't work in cmd

Takashi Yano takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp
Mon May 18 03:05:34 GMT 2020

On Sun, 17 May 2020 19:57:15 +0200
Kacper Michajlow via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Control keys doesn't seem to be working correctly under cmd.
>
> STR:
> 1. Run bash in cmd.exe
> 2. Run anything, in my case "seq 1 100000"
> 3. Try to suspend job with CTRL+Z or suspend printing with CTRL+S
>
> Ii will ignore request. Works in mintty, doesn't in cmd.

Thanks for the report. This is a known problem, however,
it is hard to fix soon.

In current console implementation, ctrl-Z is processed in
read() system call. So, if process does not call read(),
ctlr-Z does not work.

You can confirm that ctrl-Z works for cat, od, etc. which
calls read().

One solution might be to introduce a thread to handle the
keystrokes. I wonder if it is worth enough to introduce such
a big modification for console code.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>