wildcards don't work in directory with files with odd characters

David Macek david.macek.0@gmail.com
Mon May 18 20:01:36 GMT 2020

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 8:07 PM Adam Dinwoodie <adam@dinwoodie.org> wrote:
> Cygwin's `ls` expects the
> shell (e.g. Bash) to expand globs like `*`, but Windows' command
> prompt expects applications to handle expanding globs (or the Windows
> equivalents thereof) themselves. When you call a Cygwin command like
> `ls` directly from the Windows command prompt, Windows passes the
> arguments as-is to the Cygwin command, and the Cygwin command assumes
> that the arguments it received are already appropriately expanded.

This is actually false.  The official FAQ mentions it as well
here<https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.api.globbing>.

I went on to investigate what's the issue, but I can't replicate it.
Things like the console code page, the system code
page<https://www.digitalcitizen.life/changing-display-language-used-non-unicode-programs>
could be at play, but I don't see why it would behave like this.

--
David Macek