Update of packages by non-maintainer

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Thu May 21 10:16:05 GMT 2020

On 21.05.2020 06:47, Yasuhiro KIMURA wrote:
> From: Brian Inglis
> Subject: Re: Update of packages by non-maintainer
> Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 08:32:59 -0600
>
>> You should discuss changes and intent on cygwin list, post patches on
>> cygwin-apps list.
>
> Thank you for reply. My first candidate is anthy. Original anthy
> projet has been inactive since 2009. But Debian forked it and made
> improvement and enhancement. So I would like to switch codebase to
> that of Debian. I just checked out cygwin anthy git repository and
> started working but I have one question.

the anthy pkg maintainer, Yaakov, is reducing his activity
and if you are interested you can take over.

> After project fork by Debian, release version scheme has changed.
> While latest version from original project (and one used by cygwin
> package) is "9100h", latest one from Debian is "0.4". That is, version
> number decreses if I chage codebase to Debian. I know that some
> packaging systems assume version number basically increases and that
> decrement causes package upgrade failure.  So I would like to know if
> it also apply to Cygwin. And if it does then I also would like to know
> how it should be handled.

currently we have no solution. There were in the past discussion
to overcome such problem but they are not yet implemented.

We can follow these two points on the cygwin-apps mailing list,
please subscribe to it.

> Best Regards.
>
> ---
> Yasuhiro KIMURA