Current setup timestamp 1590343308

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon May 25 19:12:16 GMT 2020

On 5/25/2020 12:47 PM, Fergus Daly via Cygwin wrote:
>>> It looks to me that /etc/setup/timestamp is updated by the last successful setup
>>> (upgrade?) run, and contains a copy of the selected mirror's setup.ini
>>> setup_timestamp field as of the last successful setup (upgrade?) run, a few
>>> hours earlier than the last successful setup (upgrade?) run.
>
> Thank you for this.
> I can't really think of anything to say other than repeat my observation, today, of altered practice.
> Since as long as I can remember (and I mean - a matter of years) a successful upgrade of Cygwin32
> (implementing the current version of setup-x86.exe currently 2.904
> and pulling in the latest version of setup.ini found at {source}/Cygwin/x86/)
> has concluded with
> (i) a glitch-free accounting in /var/log/setup.log(.full), together with
> (ii) a revision of the file /etc/setup/timestamp
> which reflects the timestamp line in the aforementioned setup.ini file.
> (And other things too, quite apart from any updates to the Cygwin provision - e.g. an updated /etc/setup/installed.db file.)
>
> What I have observed, twice now (earlier today using setup.ini incorporating timestamp 1590343308 and now using the latest setup.ini incorporating timestamp 1590407755) is that event (ii) is failing: the file /etc/setup/timestamp is not updated - and if it isn't there at all, it is not created.

I'm not seeing any change in behavior on my system.  I just deleted
/etc/setup/timestamp and ran setup.  A new /etc/setup/timestamp was created,
with contents 1590430423.  This matches the value in the downloaded setup.ini file:

   setup-timestamp: 1590430423

Do you see any error messages involving /etc/setup/timestamp in the setup log
files in /var/log?

Ken