Commercial use of cygwin

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 10:42:18 GMT 2020

On 12.11.2020 09:42, Antonio Sidoti via Cygwin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking into using Cygwin for commercial use, but I couldn't really
> understand if that was ok or not.
>
>  From here <https://cygwin.com/licensing.html> and here
> <https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/cygwin-library-now-available-under-gnu-lesser-general-public-license>,
> it seems like the basic cygwin library is available under LGPL, so ok to be
> redistributed commercially if linked dynamically.
>
> When I looked for all the different dlls though, I couldn't really find all
> the licenses. I looked at /usr/share/doc folder but could not find the
> licenses for several packages
> +cygblas-0.dll
> +cyggfortran-4.dll
> +cyggomp-1.dll
> +cyglapack-0.dll
> +cygncursesw-10.dll
> +cygquadmath-0.dll
> +cygreadline7.dll
>
> Is there any way you could provide some guidance on the topic? Is it
> something you could help with?
> (Of course in exchange of compensation)
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Antonio
> --

in general there is no restriction on usage.
License are located on:

for lapack and Blas:
$ cygcheck -l liblapack-devel
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/lapack.README
/usr/share/doc/lapack/LICENSE
/usr/share/doc/lapack/README.md

for gcc/fortran and gomp

$ cygcheck -l gcc-core | grep COPYING
/usr/share/doc/gcc/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/gcc/COPYING.LIB

for ncurses

$ cygcheck -l ncurses | grep COPYING
/usr/share/doc/ncurses/COPYING

there are same restrictions if you plan to incorporate
the tools in your own software tif you are redistributing it.
(copy of source must also be distributed)

Regards
Marco