Failed assertion dialog box

William M. (Mike) Miller william.m.miller@gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 20:59:52 GMT 2020

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 3:39 PM André Bleau via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 11:49 PM Duncan Roe <duncan_roe@optusnet.com.au>
> wrote:

> > Sorry, should have mentioned running on Win7 Home.
> >
> > When I try it on my wife's Win10 system, I get the dialog box same as
> you.
> >

> That's disappointing. Thanks for the additional information, though.

> I would say we got some useful info:
> 1- The bug is OS specific; it occurs in Windows 10
> 2- Three persons were able to reproduce it on Windows 10, which improves
> the probability of getting fixed.
>
> - André Bleau

> Here's some more info:
>
> It seems the bug is related to pseudo-console support; that explains why
> it is Windows 10 specific.
>
> Experiment:
>
> CYGWIN=disable_pcon /usr/bin/mintty &
>
> In the newly created window:
>
> $ ./a.exe </dev/null >output.txt 2>&1
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> No message box popup.
>
> $ cat output.txt
> assertion "false" failed: file "assert.cpp", line 3, function: int main()
>
> In the original mintty window, with empty CYGWIN env variable:
>
> $ ./a.exe </dev/null >output.txt 2>&1
> Aborted (core dumped)
>
> A message box pops
>
> AND:
>
> $ cat output.txt
>
>  output.txt  is empty
>
> So, 2 problems here.
>
> In a CMD Window:
>
> set path=%PATH%D:\Cygwin\bin;
> a.exe <NUL: >outcmd.txt 2>&1
>       1 [main] a 759 cygwin_exception::open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack
> trace to a.exe.stackdump
> type outcmd.txt
> assertion "false" failed: file "assert.cpp", line 3, function: int main()
>       1 [main] a 759 cygwin_exception::open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack
> trace to a.exe.stackdump
>
> The bug could be in cygwin or in mintty. Maybe this is something that
> Thomas Wolff (mintty author) or Takashi Yano  (pseudo-console support
> expert) would want to look at.

That seems like useful information. However, my experience is a bit
different; I get the popup regardless of whether the CYGWIN environment
variable is empty or disable_pcon. However, I do see the same behavior as
you with regard to mintty versus a command shell window, so I think that
would argue in favor of mintty being responsible for popping up the dialog.

Thanks for the information!

--
William M. (Mike) Miller | Edison Design Group
william.m.miller@gmail.com