Please add /cygdrive/c/Windows/Sysnative to the default PATH

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Thu Nov 19 09:15:56 GMT 2020

Greetings, tealhill!

> On 2020-11-17 4:23 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Am 17.11.2020 um 20:54 schrieb tealhill via Cygwin:
 >>>
>>> Cygwin's /etc/profile sets the PATH.
>>>
>>> Could /etc/profile please also add /cygdrive/c/Windows/Sysnative to
>>> the end of the PATH?
 >>
>> It doesn't add any other Windows folders so why this one.

> ### Summary

> Why should Cygwin add Sysnative to $PATH?  As a workaround for
> Microsoft's failure to add Sysnative to %PATH%.

It was never a failure.
And if you use proper platform tools, it's not an issue either.

> ### Full explanation

> Cygwin imports the Windows %PATH% variable at startup.

Not necessarily. Depends on your .profile configuration.

> It would be ideal if Microsoft would add Sysnative to the default
> Windows %PATH%.

No, that would be a disaster.

> Such a change would help Cygwin users and others.  But
> I doubt that Microsoft will make this change.

> Therefore, I am suggesting that Cygwin work around Microsoft's omission.
>   My suggested workaround is for Cygwin to add Sysnative to its own
> $PATH, automatically.

I'm suggesting you install 64-bit Cygwin already.
32-bit Cygwin is rapidly running out of its usefulness.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...