pip newer version available

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sat Nov 28 17:54:27 GMT 2020

On 11/28/2020 9:18 AM, Csaba Raduly via Cygwin wrote:
[I've cut out everything above this in your message, because you appear to have
answered your own questions.  But ask again if I'm misinterpreting.]

> $ which pip2
> /usr/bin/pip2
>
> Aha!
>
> $ pip2 install grip
> ... lots of output ...
> WARNING: You are using pip version 20.2.2; however, version 20.2.4 is available.
> You should consider upgrading via the '/usr/bin/python2.7 -m pip
> install --upgrade pip' command.
>
> $ which grip
> /usr/bin/grip
>
> Finally, sanity returns. Still, the question remains whether upgrading
> pip like this is advisable or not.

I wouldn't.  It just seems like asking for trouble.  I'm sure Marco will upgrade
Cygwin's pip in due course.

By the way, do you really want to be using python2 rather than python3 at this
point?  See

   https://python3statement.org/

Ken