Unconsistent command-line parsing in case of UTF-8 quoted arguments

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Thu Oct 8 00:59:21 GMT 2020

I think what we mean is that, under Windows cmd, some things the shell does for you under Linux and
Cygwin will not have been done.  For example, there is "glob" expansion of filenames.  If I write
*.txt under bash, it gets expanded to a space-separated list of names of files that match that
pattern.  This happens _before_ calling my program.  If the program is run from Windows cmd.exe, the
program will receive an argument *.txt, and it will have to do the "globbing" itself.  Etc.

Regards - Eliot Moss