Emacs 27.1 - Invalid function: make-local-variable

noosphere@mailc.net noosphere@mailc.net
Wed Oct 28 21:09:36 GMT 2020

When trying to start emacs with "emacs --daemon" (with or without the
 -Q option, I immediately get an error:

  emacs: Invalid function: make-local-variable
  Error: server did not start correctly

No other information is shown, and adding a --debug-init option does not
yield any more information.

Starting emacs without the --daemon option works fine.

This emacs was installed on Windows 8.1 on Cygwin, using Cygwin's
"setup-x86_64.exe" tool, but I've also been able to reproduce
the issue under an Emacs I compiled from scratch myself under Cygwin.

I reported this issue to Emacs' bug tracker:

but after troubleshooting with them we were blocked by being unable to
get a backtrace from Emacs at the point of the error (please see the
thread linked to above for details).  Then I was advised to ask about this
on the Cygwin mailing list.

Attached are both information on the Emacs I had installed from Cygwin
and the output of "cygcheck -s -v -r" (in which I've changed my username
and machine name due to privacy concerns).

Please note that the above linked-to troubleshooting was done on the
Emacs I had compiled from scratch under Cygwin (which I had installed
under /usr/local/apps/emacs-27.1) but I just retried on the Emacs
distributed by "setup-x86_64.exe" and got the same results: "no stack"
from gdb:

%  gdb /usr/bin/emacs-nox.exe
GNU gdb (GDB) (Cygwin 8.3.1-1) 8.3.1
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-pc-cygwin".
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/emacs-nox.exe...
(No debugging symbols found in /usr/bin/emacs-nox.exe)
(gdb) break vfatal
No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) y
Breakpoint 1 (vfatal) pending.
(gdb) set follow-fork-mode child
(gdb) r -Q --daemon
Starting program: /usr/bin/emacs-nox.exe -Q --daemon
[New Thread 2160.0xa3c]
warning: Application "\??\C:\cygwin64\bin\emacs-nox.exe" found in cache
[New Thread 2160.0x1550]
emacs: Invalid function: make-local-variable
Error: server did not start correctly
[Thread 2160.0x1550 exited with code 0]
[Thread 2160.0x82c exited with code 1]
[Inferior 1 (process 2160) exited with code 01]
(gdb) bt
No stack.