INQUIRY: Export Classification Controls

Thu Oct 29 01:48:38 GMT 2020

Hi Michelle,

Cygwin is a global, all-volunteer, open source project, offering free (in many
senses) packages of software from other global, often volunteer, open source
projects, which will run together and allow users to "Get that /Linux/ feeling -
on Windows".

The only answers you will likely get, will have to be from reading the
information on this web site and others, or by engaging open source software
consultants and consulting IP lawyers to do so, and answer your questions.
There may be some such folks working at Deloitte.

Anything any one says about the project are only our/their personal opinions,
and may bear no relation to the actuality, reality, or the truth.

Pointers below:
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

	https://cygwin.com/licensing.html

"Does Cygwin™ have an ECCN number?
No. Cygwin source and binary are made publicly available and free of charge to
download so Cygwin is provided under TSU/TSPA exemption. As a result, Cygwin
does not require an ECCN number."

Please note that the licensing terms require you to bundle, or make available
online, the exact copies of any Cygwin packages source code, that you distribute
in a binary form elsewhere. From the same web page:

"What are the licensing terms?
Most of the tools are covered by the GNU GPL, some are public domain, and others
have a X11 style license. To cover the GNU GPL requirements, the basic rule is
if you give out any binaries, you must also make the source available. For the
full details, be sure to read the text of the GNU General Public License (GPL).

	https://cygwin.com/COPYING

The Cygwin™ API library found in the winsup subdirectory of the source code is
covered by the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) version 3 or later. For
details of the requirements of LGPLv3, please read the GNU Lesser General Public
License (LGPL).

	https://cygwin.com/COPYING.LIB

For more information on the GPL see the GPL FAQ.

	https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html"