Using cygwin tar from a DOS window

Douglas Coup dcoup@obj-sys.com
Wed Sep 2 14:58:40 GMT 2020

Hello Cygwin community.

I've recently started using a new Windows 10 workstation, on which I've
installed 64-bit Cygwin, including tar v1.29.

Windows 10 has its own tar.exe, but I need the Cygwin tar to be found
regardless of whether I'm using a Cygwin command window or a DOS command
window.  Since from a DOS window I want Windows .exe files to be found
for all situations except tar, I've copied the Cygwin tar.exe to a
folder of its own and placed that folder in the PATH at the beginning to
make sure Cygwin's tar.exe is found before the Windows tar.exe.

If I use tar from a Cygwin window, it works.  The tar.exe is found in
Cygwin's own /usr/bin directory.

But if I use tar from a DOS window, I get a pop-up window that says the
program can't start because cyggcc_s-1.dll can't be found.  This DLL is
not present in the Cygwin hierarchy.  What's strange is if I run
"cygcheck tar" from a Cygwin window, that DLL is not listed as a dependency.

This configuration worked successfully on my previous Windows 10
workstation, where I had 32-bit Cygwin installed, including tar v1.27.

Any thoughts?  I'm wondering if I need to downgrade to tar v1.27 on my
new workstation.

Regards,

Douglas Coup

--