Using cygwin tar from a DOS window

Douglas Coup dcoup@obj-sys.com
Wed Sep 2 17:40:22 GMT 2020

On 9/2/2020 1:28 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 9/2/2020 1:00 PM, Douglas Coup wrote:
>>
>> On 9/2/2020 12:53 PM, Bill Stewart wrote:
>>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 8:58 AM Douglas Coup wrote:
>>>
>>> But if I use tar from a DOS window ...
>>> Surely you don't mean DOS? DOS doesn't exist in Windows any more
>>> (unless
>>> you are using an emulator like DosBox or a VM).
>>>
>>> Do you mean a cmd.exe console window? (cmd.exe is a Windows
>>> console-mode
>>> program that, despite appearances, is not "DOS." DOS was a real-mode
>>> single-tasking operating system.)
>>>
>>> Bill
>>> --
>>> Problem reports: https://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>> FAQ: https://cygwin.com/faq/
>>> Documentation: https://cygwin.com/docs.html
>>
>> Yes, a cmd.exe console window.
>
> Hardly the point :-) ...
>
> But I think your problem may be that the Cygwin dlls need to be on the
> search path,
> and you're hoping that none of them have names that are the same as
> ones earlier on
> the path ...
>
> Best - Eliot Moss
> --
> Problem reports: https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ: https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation: https://cygwin.com/docs.html

I did try copying all of the .dll files in the Cygwin bin folder to the
same folder where the copy of Cygwin's tar.exe sits.  That folder
appears first in the PATH.  But despite that, trying to invoke tar from
the cmd window still pops up the window saying cyggcc_s-1.dll can't be
found.

Regards,

Doug Coup

Objective Systems, Inc.