update with apt-cyg ?

Hans-Bernhard Bröker HBBroeker@t-online.de
Mon Sep 7 16:26:52 GMT 2020

Am 07.09.2020 um 01:00 schrieb Ulli Horlacher:

> cygstart /setup-x86_64.exe --quiet-mode

That approach is essentially guaranteed to fail you in frustrating ways,
for two reasons:

1) (Minor) You do not want to have setup itself, much less its work and
data directory, inside the cygwin installation.  I.e. that should never
be '/' as the path for setup, as seen from any Cygwin shell.

2) (Major) Updating a running cygwin installation from the inside is
highly unlikely to work correctly.  Most importantly there is almost no
chance for it to update the core DLLs, because those will already be in
use by the shell you're running this from, so they cannot be changed.
I.e. if you're in a situation where using "cygstart" makes any sense,
that's a situation setup cannot update the DLLs.

In a nutshell, and to paraphrase a certain Mr. Ford, you can have your
special non-interactive Cygwin setup script in any language you like, as
long as it's effectively a _Windows_ batch file.  Updating the branch
you're currently sitting on does not work any better than sawing it through.