postinstall: fontconfig abnormal exit

Tue Sep 8 16:14:08 GMT 2020

On 2020-09-08 09:18, Fergus Daly via Cygwin wrote:
>> Greetings, Fergus Daly!
>
>>> Sorry if this has been asked 4 million times already.
>>> During postinstall, both at ground-zero installation and at every update
>>> thereafter, and for both Cygwin-32 and -64,
>>> (both using the appropriate setup-x86[_64].exe) I get:
>>> running: {pathToCygwin}\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/fontconfig_dtd.sh"
>>> abnormal exit: exit code=2
>>> Is there something that can be done to address this "error", if that is
>>> what it is, or is it just a quirk of setup?
>
>> Run the same command manually and see where it's failing.
>> IIRC (as this has been raised before), the problem is that a certain
>> file/directory not exists.
>> Check the mailing list archive?
>
> Thank you for this advice.
>
> 1
> For a long time (years) I have included an empty file
> /etc/X11/fontpath.d/thisisafile
> in my architecture as a workaround to address some installation problem,
> the nature of which I have completely forgotten.
> Having incorporated this dummy file, I should then re-install some package,
> but precisely which one I have regrettably also forgotten.
>
> 2
> This kind suggestion came from Ken Brown. By a strange coincidence, less than a week ago,
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2020-September/246128.html,
> I lamented the lack of ease with which one may search this archive. I just searched in a limited way
> to try to discover the problem for which Ken's workaround provided the cure, but without success.
>
> 3
> I also just now added "fontconfig" to my setup using "setup -P fontconfig" and then also ran the command
> fc-cache -v
> at the bash prompt, and whilst achieving a raft of checks, this has not addressed the original postinstall error
> message.
> I did not really think it would, guessing that if the fontconfig package were to successfully address such a
> basic (and recurrent) fault, then it would necessarily have been included in Base.
>
> So: nil progress, but thank you for your suggestion.
$ cygcheck -f /etc/postinstall/fontconfig_dtd.sh
libfontconfig-common-2.13.1-1
$ cygcheck -f /usr/bin/xmlcatalog
libxml2-2.9.10-1
$ cygcheck -f /usr/share/xml/fontconfig/fonts.dtd
libfontconfig-common-2.13.1-1
$ head /etc/postinstall/{fontconfig_dtd,libxml2}.*
                   ==> /etc/postinstall/fontconfig_dtd.sh.done <==
if [ -x /usr/bin/xmlcatalog ] ; then
    /usr/bin/xmlcatalog --noout --add "system" "fonts.dtd"
/usr/share/xml/fontconfig/fonts.dtd /etc/xml/catalog
fi

==> /etc/postinstall/libxml2.sh.done <==
if test ! -f /etc/xml/catalog; then
        /bin/mkdir -p /etc/xml
        /usr/bin/xmlcatalog --noout --create /etc/xml/catalog
fi
$ llgo /{etc/xml/,usr/bin/xml}catalog /usr/share/xml/fontconfig/fonts.dtd
/etc/postinstall/{fontconfig_dtd,libxml2}.*
-rw-r--r-- 1  152 Jul 28  2019 /etc/postinstall/fontconfig_dtd.sh.done
-rw-r--r-- 1  118 Mar 25  2019 /etc/postinstall/libxml2.sh.done
-rw-r--r-- 1 1.2K Jul 30  2019 /etc/xml/catalog
-rwxr-xr-x 1  18K Aug 15 10:35 /usr/bin/xmlcatalog*
-rw-r--r-- 1 7.1K Jul 28  2019 /usr/share/xml/fontconfig/fonts.dtd

So check the existence of all the files and all the postinstall scripts,
re-execute the latter if necessary, re-install packages if necessary to make
repairs, and ensure the postinstall scripts are renamed with .done appended when
successfully completed.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]