postinstall: fontconfig abnormal exit

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty hamishmb@live.co.uk
Fri Sep 11 08:32:30 GMT 2020

On 11/09/2020 08:22, Fergus Daly via Cygwin wrote:

>> hmmm.  i don't understand exactly what this thread is about, but i do know that on my latest fresh install of cygwin,
>> the fontconfig_dtd install is claiming an error at the end.
>> is this related to that ?
> Exactly. On first setup and all subsequent updates this post-installation error recurs.
> The cure described depends on the presence of several files including one that the script creates if necessary.
>
> PS Before I enlisted help to cure this glitch "properly", I found it and its recurrence sufficiently intrusive to become an annoyance.
> Since nothing was obviously broken I guessed that nothing further would be broken by artificially achieving the post-installation
> sequence as follows:
> $ mv /etc/postinstall/fontconfig_dtd.sh /etc/postinstall/fontconfig_dtd.sh.done
> And so it transpired: nothing awful seemed to happen, or fail to happen, as a consequence of this "fix"; and the error msg stopped.

I agree this should be fixed - it is annoying, and I also don't think
it's a new bug by any stretch: I had this last September when I was
first looking at getting wxPython to compile in Cygwin.

Also it's, in my opinion, not a great user experience to have end users
immediately thing something is wrong after the first install. Despite
the fact that it doesn't seem to matter, it doesn't inspire confidence
for first-time users. I haven't followed this very closely so I'm aware
it might be hard to fix, and I very much appreciate all the effort put
in to Cygwin, but I reckon this one would help a lot with the first
impressions & attitude of a new Cygwin user.

Hamish