Is it possible to vnc into a linux guest?

René Berber rene.berber@gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 21:12:12 GMT 2020

On 9/23/2020 1:07 PM, Jim McNamara via Cygwin wrote:

> I tried to use tigervnc to connect to a linux virtualbox guest from cygwin.

Those 3 things are independent, i.e. there's no VNC in Cygwin (OK there
is, but you don't need it... and installing an X server just for that is
overkill), and there's no VNC in a Linux virtualbox unless it is running
the VNC server.

> I am not sure it is possible after many attempts.

Of course its possible.  You are just going at it the wrong way.

> I did have ssh working and x forwarding of smallish APPS.

Irrelevant.  You don't need any of those.

Just follow the VNC guide, its simple, you need a client (tigerVNC --
there's a version for Windows) and a server, then you need to know which
IP address and port to use, maybe open those ports on firewalls.
--
R.Berber