Perl Unidecode modules - which to use (if not Text::Unidecode)?

Mark Aitchison M.Aitchison@cyberXpress.co.nz
Thu Apr 1 20:35:31 GMT 2021

I am writing perl programs that I'd like to know will work under both Linux and Cygwin,
and have to deal with Unicode now.

I had used Text::Unidecode happily in Linux but find no cygwin version. Possibly I am not
looking in the right places for it, but possibly there are different Unicode-related
modules that are well-supported under both cygwin and linux that I should be using
instead, and I guess Unicode might be one of those things where it depends on the
underlying o/s so it probably pays to go with whatever is the standard set of modules.

1. What perl Unicode modules should I consider, if not Text::Unidecode? The present need
is to be able to convert those few "foreign" characters (like ÇĆĈĊçĉċĜĞĠĢĝģğġËÌÍÎÏÒÓÔÕ)
that are basically ASCII with accent marks to their closest ASCII equivalents, but I'd
like to do more with Unicode in the future, without going down any dead-ends as far as
being able to run under cygwin is concerned.

2. I see some talk of Internationalization in Chapter 2 of "Setting up Cygwin", but
cannot see anything relating to perl modules, and I don't see any easy way to search many
months of the mailing list for a keyword... is there any information I should know about?

Thanks,

Mark Aitchison