Perl Unidecode modules - which to use (if not Text::Unidecode)?

Mark Aitchison mark.aitchison@cyberxpress.co.nz
Mon Apr 5 21:50:14 GMT 2021

A little more detail... I realise that stripping accents off is often not a good thing to do, but at the moment that basically is what I'm after, or to be more specific: I want to know if the character is a consonant or vowel... I basically throw away vowels and punctuation in this odd application. Later I will want to do all sorts of things with input text that might be utf8 or utf16 or some encoding that (hopefully) I can guess and translate to the same standard and ultimately spit out on a web page.

There seem to be many perl modules that do similar things... I want to be able to distribute my code and not require people to download things from cpan. I'd like to stick with modules that are as stock standard as standard can be, i.e. are in a standard cygwin distribution, and are normally found in other perl environments. In a sense, searching cpan gives me too many options because that includes modules that might require a customer to do more than I should ask them to have to do, if it could have been avoided by me choosing a more standard way of achieving the goal in the first place.

What I probably should have asked is...
1. What perl module, that comes with cygwin, is good for telling whether a letter is a consonant?
2. Later on I will also need something that makes a reasonable guess as to what kind of encoding is used in some text (that might not have a helpful header telling me the answer), with the view to converting it to whatever encoding I want? I can find software to do this, but I would like to restrict options to just those a cygwin user can install with the setup program... if I'm not being too unrealistic about that requirement.
Thanks, Mark