Cannot access system32 directory from 32 bit cygwin after the commit 456c3a46

Wed Apr 21 19:28:24 GMT 2021

On Apr 21 11:57, Bill Stewart wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 10:47 AM Corinna Vinschenwrote:
>

> > A sane assumption is for instance, if you cd to foo, that your in foo.
> > That's what the FSR breaks in a thorough way.  I. e. on WOW64:
> >
> >   $ cd /cygdrive/c/Windows
> >   $ ls -1d Sys*
> >   SysWOW64
> >   System
> >   System32
> >   SystemApps
> >   SystemResources
> >
> > So there are two dirs, one called System32, one called SysWOW64.
> >

> This is, of course, completely expected (notwithstanding the confusion
> caused by the "bitness" names being opposite of what some expect).
>

> > Note how there's *no* such directory called "Sysnative".  Still...
> >
> >   $ cd System32
> >
> > works fine.  You're just not in System32, but in SysWOW64.  Sane?
> >

> This is completely sensible and expected, as the entire point of the WoW
> emulator is to emulate 32-bit Windows.
>
> Alternatively:
> >
> >   $ cd Sysnative
> >
> > works fine and now you're, oh wonder, in System32.  If that's sane,
> > running head first into a wall is, too :)
> >

> "Sysnative" isn't an actual file system directory, as noted, but an "alias"
> (for lack of a better word) that allows, from a Wow64 process, to refer to
> the real 64-bit system directory. You can use the name "Sysnative" if you
> are certain you really want to refer to the 64-bit system directory.
>
> This all seems like a pretty straightforward and sensible approach, IMO.

This is not the right place to discuss this in detail, but to me, a
straightforward and sensible approach would have been to give the 64
bit system dir another name right from the start:

  C:\Windows\System64

Corinna