Package Requests: Update: bash-completion, coreutils - New: linux-manpages

Fri Aug 13 05:11:48 GMT 2021

On 2021-08-12 22:20, Richard Beels via Cygwin wrote:
> Findutils _was_ on this list but then I saw it come over the transom
> (yeay Brian! :-), which reminded me I never actually wrote about it.
> Procrastination ekes a minor victory...  :)
>
> bash-completion and coreutils are both currently several releases/years
> behind.
>
> Also, I'll throw in an oddball request to save a bucket of headers -
> linux manpages.  I see the posix ones are packaged for the cyg, it would
> be nice to also get the linux manpages packaged in similar fashion.

Cheers - glad those are helping some - looking at a few others right now
for this weekend:
- bison m4 sed​ - as current - and they are more developer oriented;
- dash grep gzip readline - as test - they are more pervasive and issues
would be high impact.

I suggested linux-manpages a while back, as it comes from the same
source as posix-manpages, and I install it myself, but did not get voted
to package, due to duplication with conflicting priorities and no easy
way to resolve under existing paths.

I could probably look at bash-completion if I can get around to bash, as
I would worry about dependencies, fixes, and tweaks.

There are big challenges in bash and coreutils being years out of date
as parts of those need customized for Cygwin, and the customization
patches are likely to have issues, or even need redesign, if there have
been major changes.