cygrunsrv + sshd + rsync = 20 times too slow -- throttled?

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sun Aug 29 22:24:49 GMT 2021

On 8/29/2021 3:24 PM, Chris Roehrig wrote:
> I'd be happy to test it out if you can give me some commands to git it and build it to replace my existing stock Cygwin installation.
> (Or it is just the cygwin.dll I'd need to replace?)
>
> My daily backup scripts use a lot of pipes and named pipes.

It's just cygwin1.dll that you'd need to replace.  Instructions for building the
latter can be found at

   https://www.cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin

but they're out of date in two respects:

1. Currently the build does *not* ignore errors in building the documentation.

2. In addition to the packages listed in the FAQ, you'll need the following:

   texlive-collection-latexrecommended
   texlive-collection-fontsrecommended
   texlive-collection-pictures
   python38-lxml
   python38-ply

These instructions will produce cygwin1.dll in the bin subdirectory of your
install directory, built from the git master branch.

If you want to try the topic/pipe branch, just go to the newlib-cygwin git repo
that you cloned, issue the command 'git checkout topic/pipe', and rebuild.

I'll be glad to help if you run into problems.

Ken